TAN SRI DATUK DR. YUSOF BIN BASIRAN, male, age 70, Malaysian, was appointed to the Board on 20 February 2006.
He is also presently a Director of Sime Darby Plantation Berhad.
He is also involved in the following organisations:-
- Senior Fellow and Past President of Academy Sciences Malaysia (ASM)
- Fellow member of Malaysian Oil Scientists’ and Technologists’ Association (MOSTA)
- Fellow member of the Incorporated Society of Planters
His notable academic achievements are as follows:-
- In 1972, he obtained his Bachelor in Chemical Engineering Degree from the University of Canterbury, New Zealand;
- In 1974, he obtained his Post-Graduate Degree in Rubber Technology (ANCRT) from the North London Polytechnic, United Kingdom; and
- In 1976, he obtained his Masters Degree in Engineering specialising in Industrial Management (M.E.) and also in Business Administration (MBA) from the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium.
Before he joined Palm Oil Research Institute of Malaysia (PORIM) in 1979, he held the position of Rubber Technologist/ Techno-Economist with the Rubber Research Institute (RRI)/ Malaysian Rubber Research Development Board (MRRDB).
In 1986, he completed his doctorate with a PhD in Applied Economics and Management Science from the University of Stirling, Scotland. He was later appointed as the Director-General of PORIM in 1992. He held the position for 8 years until April 2000 before assuming the role of the Director-General of Malaysia Palm Oil Board (MPOB), an organisation which existed as a result of PORIM and Palm Oil Registration and Licensing Authority (PORLA) merger, from 1 May 2000 until 18 January 2006. He was formerly the Chief Executive Officer of the Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC) and a Director of Bank Negara Malaysia.
For all these services, he was conferred the Federal Awards Darjah JOHAN MANGKU NEGARA (J.M.N.), Darjah Yang Mulia PANGLIMA JASA NEGARA (P.J.N.) and Darjah Kebesaran PANGLIMA SETIA MAHKOTA (P.S.M.).